Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Dreams do Come True

Hello!

Yes, it's been a while. (I sound like a 70s song!) In fact, I have "thought about us for a long, long, time," My summer took a few unexpected turns and landed me here, on November 5, thinking about how long it's been since I've taken time out for blogging.

This summer I started studying for my teacher's credentials and found it very compelling. I completed my coursework to the point where I could take my certification exams and then, 4 days before school started, I -- almost accidentally --got a teaching job!

I came home from my second exam feeling a little bummed; I just wasn't sure how I'd performed and my wise friend Colleen Waller told me that applying for jobs would restore my faith in me. I agreed to apply for two jobs. It was late in the hiring season and I did not think there were many true openings. I saw an FAC position was open at a Title 1 school near me (you know my heart) so I applied for it and something similar in Austin ISD.

Mere hours after I applied, I got an interview for the job at Xenia Voigt Elementary and only hours after the interview, was hired. The next two months have been a whirlwind. I was in no way prepared to set up a classroom, much less start teaching, 5 days after my interview and 6 days after I sat for my EC-6 Generalist exam. Now my world is filled with children aged 5 to 7 and -- yes -- lesson plans, supply lists, art projects and bulletin boards. Several of my students are featured in this RRISD showcase in the playground photos.

More importantly, however, my heart is filled. I am living, walking proof that it is never too late to respond to a calling on one's life and follow your dreams!  I love teaching. I've always known I would! And now that my first home-schooler is a junior in college and my last home-schooler is a senior in high school and my Littles are all in public school, it is the perfect time for me to venture out on this new path.

Here are the two awesome Paraprofessionals who are in this with me 100%. So grateful for these two women and their dedication to our students.



Here I am on the first day of school:


So there's the update. Back on the blogging train now so more to come!



No comments: