It is embarrassingly easy. I spent less on all the ingredients, which made a LOT, perhaps 1/3 cup or more, than I spend on a single lipstick. I found the original recipe here and then "Tischlered it up!" (but in a good way).
Looking back now, I see my recipe no longer resembles the original. Oh well -- it's awesome and I hope you'll try it!
Pretty Lip Balm
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp grated beeswax or beeswax pearls
- 7 drops rosemary essential oil (or other essential oil)
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (we used a full tablespoon to make the darker brown shown for the girls)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp colored, natural lipstick for color (or both cocoa and color)
Melt the top two together on low heat. It takes quite a while to melt the beeswax and next time I will add more. Add the cocoa powder toward the end. Do not add the essential oil or natural lipstick until you remove it from the heat.
Why would I do this? (And why you should try it!)
1) It's super easy
2) It's fun -- like science only not stinky or poisonous
3) Since using it exclusively, my lips are no longer dry. I think the store bought products were actually creating the need for lip balm. Suspicious!
4) It's easy on the pocketbook.
5) It's easy on the earth.
Last note: I originally followed the Crunchy Betty recipe, kinda. (The cocoa one.) It was just way too soft for me; it's hot here. And I didn't mind the lavender but everyone else, including my hubby, did mind it. So the soapy lavender was out. The rosemary is nice -- earthy. I like it.
Try it and share your results (please!)