Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lip gloss

I am experiencing some sort of weird transformation into a cave woman.  Maybe it's my age.  We are making everything around here these days.  Recently we made lip gloss/lip balm. 

It is embarrassingly easy.  I spent less on all the ingredients, which made a LOT, perhaps 1/3 cup or more, than I spend on a single lipstick.  I found the original recipe here and then "Tischlered it up!" (but in a good way).

Looking back now, I see my recipe no longer resembles the original.  Oh well -- it's awesome and I hope you'll try it!

Pretty Lip Balm
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 Tbsp grated beeswax or beeswax pearls
  • 7 drops rosemary essential oil (or other essential oil)
either/and
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder (we used a full tablespoon to make the darker brown shown for the girls)
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp colored, natural lipstick for color (or both cocoa and color)
 I don't have a double boiler, so I used a glass bowl set into mildly simmering water.  It worked fine.

Melt the top two together on low heat.  It takes quite a while to  melt the beeswax and next time I will add more.  Add the cocoa powder toward the end.  Do not add the essential oil or natural lipstick until you remove it from the heat. 

My first run through was not colored.  It was fine.  For the second, I just used the end of a lipstick my darling daughter had mutilated.  We love the really brown one because the color fades fast but it tastes great! 

Why would I do this? (And why you should try it!)
1)  It's super easy
2) It's fun -- like science only not stinky or poisonous
3) Since using it exclusively, my lips are no longer dry.  I think the store bought products were actually creating  the need for lip balm. Suspicious!
4) It's easy on the pocketbook.
5) It's easy on the earth.

Last note:  I originally followed the Crunchy Betty recipe, kinda.  (The cocoa one.)  It was just way too soft for me; it's hot here.  And I didn't mind the lavender but everyone else, including my hubby, did mind it. So the soapy lavender was out.  The rosemary is nice -- earthy.  I like it. 

Try it and share your results (please!)


No comments: